March 13, 2011

Daylight Savings?

Well, here it is, about 7:30 PM and dusk is only just setting in. I would feel comfortable driving with no headlights. I'm still, after four years, not used to daylight savings time beginning in mid-March, but here we are, meeting the first big milestone on the road to spring (if you don't count Groundhog Day, but really - who does?).

We always lament our "lost" hour of sleep when we spring forward. But how many of us actually lose an hour of sleep? I would bet my life savings and maybe a few cats that I am not the only one who simply woke up today an hour later than I normally would on a Sunday. If I lost an hour, I didn't notice while passed out in my cozy bed.

In fact, I prefer to look at the transition to daylight savings time as a the day I sleep in an extra hour.

Which brings me to my point for today's post: let's all try and go against the grain in our outlook a little more often. Instead of assuming a conventional, predictable view on a topic, force yourself to refocus your mental lens. When we allow ourselves to be creative with our perspectives, we have a greater opportunity to discover new things about an issue and a better chance of finding solutions to a problem.

In liberal studies, we place a lot of value in learning how to learn; one way we do that is by realizing the potential of a fresh perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment