June 21, 2012

Your Paper Trail

So it's summer, meaning that many of us have temporarily abandoned the academic writing chunk of our brains. In light of this fact, while I've truly wanted to write a blog post during the merry month of June, I confess I haven't had much to talk about except Season 9 of "So You Think You Can Dance" (I wish I could dance), my cat's recent tooth surgery (he's fine and eating like a termite), or my upcoming trip to Dollywood Splash Country (I am irrationally excited about this). And I fear that a rambling post about any of these would reveal just how little I get out of the house; never mind the fact that none of the above have a single thing to do with writing, interdisciplinary scholarship, or graduate school.

Lucky for you, when I was reading today's edition of MALS student Kari Roueche's blog Archiventures, I received some much-needed inspiration. (Thanks, Kari!) One point she made struck me as worth repeating. Reflecting on how the authors of some letters she is processing for her practicum used such kind and polite language, even when corresponding informally with close family members, Kari notes:
"What you leave behind in the way of writing sets an example for the next generation" 
Wow. Kind of adds value, and perhaps some pressure, to our writing. Even if much of our written work doesn't make it to the next generation, it certainly lingers on at least a short while, outlasting spoken words, which are gone as soon as they are uttered. After all, there's a reason we create (and tax evaders try to demolish) the all-important "paper trail." Whether typing a quick email or writing a dissertation, our writing indeed provides a tidbit of our lives, an example of how and why we did our job, talked to a friend, or learned a new subject. In short, what we put in writing documents who we are. 

Knowing that your writing serves as an example of yourself, I'll end my post with the following request:  take a moment to think about what you want your paper trail to say about you. What do you want the "next generation" of scholars, family, or community members to learn from and about you? Whatever your answer, try and let this knowledge guide and motivate your writing throughout your life.





1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJuly 26, 2012

    Getting inspired by what other people are learning is one of the joys of the education process. Watching the documentary on "A Midwife's Tale," research conducted by the fabulous Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, launched me in the direction that all of my future MALS research would take. Thank you for the kind words, Kit.

    ReplyDelete