October 10, 2012

Passing the Torch


Good Evening MALS students,

Most of you know by now that starting tomorrow, Thursday, October 11, you will have a new MALS Online Writing Consultant.

During the past two years, my goal has been not only to support my fellow MALS colleagues through the often murky and treacherous writing process, but also to become a reliable, trusted source of sanity. If there's anything I recall from my own time as a student, it's that we can all use some calming perspective from time to time, and I have always tried to maintain that voice of perspective without sliding into a pit of preachiness. Much to my delight, I have received some very kind words from many of you that indicate that I succeeded to some degree.

I now want to take this opportunity to tell you how much you have helped me become a better writer and life-long interdisciplinarian.

Because of you, I have had the best job in the whole MALS world. I have been in the unique and privileged position to learn through your scholarship - and as a result I know more about art, women's and gender issues, music, and genealogy than I ever could have foreseen. I have seen students go from human balls of stress to poised, articulate writers and public speakers. I have seen students become ambassadors of MALS at a variety of conferences and scholarship programs throughout the world. To be associated with you as MALS alumna is an honor.

It is time for me to move on, but neither I nor the MALS program are leaving you hanging. Emily Carmichael, a 2012 MALS graduate and a splendid writer, will carry on my mission. In fact, she'll probably offer even better feedback, not the least because she'll be able to provide a fresh perspective to the writing process. I bet she won't use cats or bikes in so many of her examples, either. I know Emily is looking forward to working with you, and you will be in interdisciplinarily good hands.

Alas, it is now time to say farewell. I wish you all the absolute best as you continue graduate school, celebrate earning your degree, and use your knowledge and abilities to contribute to your job, family, and community.

Thank you, and good night!

Kit Hayes
MALS Class of 2010

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for everything, Kit. Good luck with your new job!

    -Alison

    ReplyDelete